Header 1

Header 1
All images below are clickable

Wednesday 19 March 2014

Croak! Croak!.

The Common Toads have taken to the water, which mean two things, it must be February or March and they are ready for mating. For the rest of the year they live away from water.

Until I researched it, I was unaware that Toads (Bufo bufo) can live up to 40 years. There are two species of Toad in UK, the Common Toad and the Natterjack Toad (Bufo calamita). The Natterjack is so small and are really difficult to see especially in their normal surroundings. 

Remember the saying for ID purposes, "Frogs hop, Toads crawl".
I shot these images on a pond during another return visit in the Woodland recently featured.










11 comments:

  1. Great photos.. I haven't had frogs or toads in my pond now for a few years and I miss having them.. Hopefully one day they will return.. In the meantime I will have to be content in looking at wonderful photos of them :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Roy Just have to tell you your header always brightens up my day. The frog shots are great and I love the water rings at the base of the reed in the first shot. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well found and photographed Roy. Did you do 'the test' to find your Prince?...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Trevor, No I avoided that Trevor, ugly So in So's aren't they.

      Delete
  4. Great post Roy, one of the houses we lived in was near a old quarry, it was full of Frogs. During the breeding season you had to keep your door shut as the house would fill up with Frogs....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Roy... They don't look to ambitious!! I would love to be just hanging out in some "warmer water" laying there just basking in the sun...oh well when this snow melts : )

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They will get ambitious fairly soon GG.{:))

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting
and commenting on my blog