Header 1

Header 1
All images below are clickable

Monday 3 July 2017

Butterfly Walk

Walking through woodland in the last few days in search of anything 'Nature' proved one thing. 
It is mostly about butterflies at the moment and there is quite a variety to be found. 
Below are the species I photographed on that walk.

The Red Admiral
An immigrant species that continue to arrive from May through to August.








A species I have already featured - the Silver-washed Fritillary.
I found this one crawling over a heap of sandstone that had been piled for use on the Reserve.
What is this species doing on the ground on stone.?
Using its proboscis to probe the surface of the stone it is searching for minerals which are part of its diet.





A pair of Large Skipper mating


Meadow Brown are around in some numbers now through until the end of September.

Female

Male

Ringlet Butterfly
Already they are looking a bit worse for wear.

Male

Female

Comma Butterfly
A resident species that can be found most of the year.



Male Small Skipper Butterfly


Female Broad-bodied Chaser




Large Red Damselfly


This was a bit of a surprise below. 
A second brood female Green-veined White Butterfly.




Plentiful numbers of Small Tortoiseshell are to be found.......


.....as are Silver-washed Fritillary.


Five spot Burnet Moth.


A Tree Fungi of some kind. I couldn't begin to tell you what kind, but it was growing about 4 metres up a tree trunk and had grown around a small branch.


A Miner Bee of some kind - maybe.


Something not so easy to find at the moment, small birds such as this rather rough looking Whitethroat that was collecting food for its brood.






16 comments:

  1. You're the man for butterflies Roy...you've captured some cracking images over the last few posts, they're always a pleasure to look at. Keep up the good work!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Voi, olet nähnyt punatäplän! On monta vuotta, kun olen sellaisen nähnyt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All excellent photographed Roy and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely photos Roy. I've noticed a few adult birds collecting food and looking rather worse for wear recently!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam, yes they don't look at their best at the moment, but they have been very busy of course . :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Roy,

    I wanted to send a more personal communication to you today. I am always impressed with the quality of your posts and it makes me happy to see that you have continued on for so many years.

    I have not been commenting much as my "spare" time is consumed by creating my vacuum technology book. Nevertheless, I do check in regularly. We have seen so many blogs have come and dropped out. I see on your list some of the ones I have enjoyed in the past are no longer active. I have culled many off of my list too.

    I think it important to document what one has in his immediate environment. Although we do not do scientific studies, we do see changes. Some good, for example, when I grew up in New England, seeing a Bald Eagle was a fantasy. Today, we do have them. On the flip side, we have seen some expansion Southern species starting to move north.

    With all of this said, I'm glad that you are one of the survivors and are still publishing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steve, thanks for your kind words.
      I do try and vary the posts as much possible, but it can get a little repetitive especially around the same time each year.

      Delete

  6. 74/5000
    A very rich and well-stocked blog with the most beautiful butterflies and dragonflies!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting
and commenting on my blog